Pattaya's most trusted realtor
  • English
  • Thai
  • Russian

Helpful Tips When Moving Out of a Property

Eventually the time will come for you to move out. This will mean terminating the lease, which could happen one of two ways - either you elect to move out or your landlord requests you leave the premises. Each way requires particular protocols be followed, as outlined in the following sections:

The Tenant wants to leave

If you wish to end the lease prior to the date given in the lease agreement, your landlord will need to approve this request. Simply walking out on a lease is considered a breach of contract, and you could be required to reimburse the landlord for all the money they lost as a result, e.g. lost rent and re-advertising expenses.

Quick Tips

Should the landlord agree to end the lease early, get this agreement in writing, signed by the landlord. If your landlord does not agree, Contact Us your Real Estate Agent and discuss the matter.

Things are a little simpler if you have a periodic or continuing lease rather than a fixed lease (whereby the ending date of the tenancy is stipulated). Under this circumstance, you should not need to give the landlord more than 30 days notice.

Immediate notice is only justifiable when the landlord fails to honour the lease agreement or when the residence becomes severely damaged.

The Landlord wants the tenant to leave

Under no circumstamces is the landlord allowed to force you to leave the property without suitable notice. The notice must be in writing, be signed by the landlord, state the reason for requesting you to move out and give the date by which you should vacate the premises.

The landlord is permitted to ask you to move out immediately if you cause intentional damage to the premises, or it becomes severely damaged and unfit for living (even through no fault of your own). The landlord may also have the right to immediately evict you if you endanger neighbours of the property, or use the premises for unlawful purposes.

If the notice expires, and you have not vacated the premises, the landlord may be entitled to a possession order. The police could then be called upon to forcibly remove you from the premises.

Residual business

When you leave the premises, the landlord must return your security deposit. This must be done within the time frame specified by your lease agreement.

There are circumstances where the landlord can keep all or part of the security deposit, such as when rent is owing at the time the tenant moved out or the landlord gives written notice to the tenant of a claim to cover loss or damage caused by the tenant.

If your landlord does not return your full security deposit without good reason, Contact Us your Real Estate Agent and possibly even your Thai lawyer.

Quick Tips

Make sure you leave your forwarding address with the landlord, as well as a Contact Us telephone number. The landlord should be able to reach you, just in case you leave behind any possessions.

Under no circumstances is the landlord allowed to take seemingly abandoned goods as compensation for money owing. Instead, the landlord should Contact Us you and arrange a time for you to collect them.

Finally, ensure that the meters for any utilities (e.g. electricity) are read on the day you move out. Unless this is carried out on the same day as you vacate the premises, you may be charged for a longer period than you were in residence.

Condominiums for sale

Houses for sale

Condominiums for rent

Houses for rent